Permits & Inspection
LICENSE AND PERMITS
Opening a business in Opelousas? Here are some basic instructions on commerical occupancy within the municipality of Opelousas:
- All new businesses locating within the city limits of Opelousas must purchase an Occupational Permit before electrical service is turned on.
- Newly constructed commercial buildings or buildings whereas any renovations are performed, a copy of the State Fire Marshal's certificate of approval must be presented when applying for a permit.
- Permits are required before placing signs on buildings or on grounds.
- If occupancy is within the Historic District, you are required to fill out an Application for Appropriateness for occupancy and signs.
Procedures for obtaining an electrical tag
- Prior to new construction any any additions or renovations requiring any alterations of electrical service or any building being moved unto any property, an Application for Permit must be obtained.
- Fee depending on service or work done (see Building Permit Fee Schedule)
- Name and address of property owner
- Name and address of tenant
- Contractor MUST be State Licensed or Licensed by the City of Opelousas
- Copy of State License or License by City
- Certificate of Insurance (General Liability and Workmens Compensation)
- Occupational License
For Contractors only
For contractors wanting to apply for a City Contractors License, please submit an Application for Contractors License and fee with the following documentation:
- Copy of Certificate of Insurance ($100,000 plus product warranty, General Liability, and Workmens Comp)
- Copy of current Occupational License if purchased in another city.
- If you live within the corporate limits of the City of Opelousas you MUST purchase an Occupational License with us.
- If you are a building contractor registered with the State of Louisiana, please send #1 and #2 or #1 and #3 and a copy of your State License (no renewal fee).
- Contractors License Fee is $25.00. First year fee is $75.00.
Permits and licenses above are available in fillable and printable PDF format.
Permits must be submitted to and can be obtained from the Code Enforcement Office, Mondays thru Fridays, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. (closed 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. for lunch) at the address below.
105 North Main Street
Opelousas, Louisiana 70571-0712