Opelousas Tree Board
The benefits of trees are many:
- Trees give off oxygen that we need to breathe.
- Trees reduce the amount of storm water runoff, which reduces erosion and pollution in our waterways and may reduce the effects of flooding.
- Many species of wildlife depend on trees for habitat.
- Trees provide food, protection, and homes for many birds and mammals.
- Trees can improve air quality and noise pollution, making communities healthier places to live, work, and play.
- Trees help cool the planet by sucking in and storing harmful greenhouse gases, like carbon dioxide, into their trunks, branches, and leaves. In cities, trees can reduce overall temperature by up to ten degrees Fahrenheit.
John N. Harper
Mayor Julius Alsandor, Ex-Officio