102 E. Landry Street
Dr. Creighton Shute opened his drug store on this property in the 1890s. It became known as Shute’s Corner. In 1924, the wood frame structure was demolished and a new brick building constructed to house Shute’s general merchandise store and pharmacy. At one time, the Star Barber Shop operated out of the east side part on the first floor. This spot is significant in U.S. history because Clyde Barrow of the notorious “Barrow Gang,” received his last shave here from barber Otis Welch. Federal agents killed Barrow and his accomplice, Bonnie Parker, in a gun fight just days later on May 23, 1934 in north LA.
Last modified: April 13, 2021