1020 N. Main Street
This cathedral-size church is the third building to sit on this elevated track of land. Founded in 1770 by French Capuchin friars, it is the second oldest church parish in the Lafayette Roman Catholic Diocese. The current edifice is a Gothic form of structure with Romanesque motifs. The stained-glass windows were made in France by German artisans. The building was designed by noted Opelousas architect Tilghman George Chachere, Sr. When this building was constructed in 1908-09, the bricks of the old church, built in 1828, were used as its foundation. The church archives and records, located in the old Marianite Sisters of Holy Cross convent behind the church, are a treasure trove to genealogist and historians alike, as its records date back to the 1770s.
Last modified: April 13, 2021