330 S. Market Street
This family home was built around the turn of the century for Mr. and Mrs. Phil L. Asher. Asher was an entrepreneur and a champion of the multiple uses of cottonseed oil. He served as the bookkeeper at the Opelousas Cotton Oil Company, and in 1897 he helped Professor T. H. Harris establish the first business school in Opelousas. He was also a driving force behind the area’s agricultural diversity. The Allen family has owned the home for several decades, including noted Opelousas artist J. A. Allen, who is the present owner.
Last modified: April 13, 2021