Opelousas - Perfectly Seasoned

56. Opelousas Sanitarium, c. 1886

April 9, 1886

217 N. Main Street

This building, located on the corner of Grolee and Main streets, was the business and residence of J.C. “Kossuth” Sandoz. Later, it became the first hospital in Opelousas and was known as the Opelousas Sanitarium. It features 8,400 square feet of high ceilings and hand- carved woodwork. As with the city court building, the exterior of this building once had wrought-iron balconies.

Last modified: April 13, 2021

Comments are closed.

Skip to content