312 N. Main St.
This is the second oldest business in Opelousas still in operation. The store began as a blacksmith shop owned and operated by Mr. Joseph Jobin. Jacques Benoit Sandoz, who was an apprentice of Jobin, married Jobin’s daughter after her father’s death in 1877. In 1878, the business was renamed J.B. Sandoz. In 1892, J. B Sandoz moved his business to Perrodin’s Hall, and opened a new carriage repository. A few years later, Sandoz purchased that building on the corner of Main and Grolee streets and it became a hardware store. In 1953, the old building was demolished and the present building constructed. Business is still owned and operated by the Sandoz family.
Last modified: April 13, 2021