Opelousas - Perfectly Seasoned

70. Smith House, c. 1906

April 9, 1906

626 E. Grolee Street

Built of cypress by Opelousas attorney Peyton R. Sandoz for his wife and eight children, the home has changed hands many times. It is referred to as the Old Smith Home, since it was purchased in the 1940s by F. “Cook” Smith. In 1968 Anthony Lavergne purchased the home, and today it is owned by his family. This Victorian home is adorned with beautiful gingerbread accents, complete with a fleur-de-lis wreath design, arches and gables. The staircase is hand-carved with wood imported from France, and it contains five fireplaces with carved mantels. The cement pillars in the yard at one time had chains connecting them for use as hitching posts for horses and buggies. The large grotto in the front of the home contains a stone replica of Michelangelo’s Pietà.

Last modified: April 13, 2021

Comments are closed.

Skip to content