704 E. North Street
Dr. F. J. Pulford, a noted Opelousas dentist who practiced from 1891 until the 1920s, built this estate. Dr. Pulford also served as an Alderman on the Opelousas City Council in the early 1900s. The home is constructed completely of Louisiana cypress with a large eight-foot wide foyer. Classic curved woodwork can be found throughout the home on baseboards and moldings complete with acorn adorned corners. In 1910, Pulford added four hand-carved mantels to the home, which were made in New Orleans, complete with hand-painted and baked hearth tile. For many years the Caldwell family, who ran a successful dairy on the grounds, owned the home.
Last modified: April 13, 2021