515 E. Bellevue Street
Opelousas is known as the “Cradle of Louisiana Methodism.” Missionary Elisha W. Bowman established the Methodist church here in 1806. It is the oldest Methodist church congregation west of the Mississippi River. The present church sits on the site where two earlier churches existed. The property for the church was purchased in 1857 from the Fonda family.
Last modified: April 13, 2021