747 N. Union Street
The largest Catholic Church parish for Blacks in the United States, Holy Ghost Church was organized in 1920. Father James A. Hyland, C.S Sp. Of the Holy Ghost Fathers was appointed the first Pastor during that year. The present church building was constructed in 1948 on land donated to the church by the family of Joel H. Sandoz, an early Opelousas newspaper publisher who founded the Opelousas Courier in 1852. The Sandoz home stood on this property for over a century prior to the church’s construction.
Last modified: April 13, 2021