For Immediate Release
August 26, 2021
Good morning Citizens of Opelousas,
As local weather authorities predict, a tropical storm is expected to form today and be in the Gulf of Mexico by Friday night. Before the arrival of the tropical depression, I would like to advise citizens to take the necessary safety precautions for the extreme weather and its potentially dangerous impact. Please be aware that the weather could bring a storm surge, wind and heavy rainfall to St. Landry Parish. Now is the time to review hurricane plans and make safety precautions for you and your families and your property.
Here are tips on storm preparation:
- Prepare an emergency kit with dry food, water, and medical supplies.
- Check emergency equipment, such as flashlights, generators, and storm shutters.
- Plan your evacuation route, have an alternate route, and make a plan with your family members to determine how you will get in touch and where you will go if there’s an emergency.
- Trim large trees around your home to prevent damage
- Store important documents in a safe, including medical records, wills, passports, and personal identification.
- Have materials in advance to board windows to protect them from flying debris.
Although the uncertainty on the storm’s future track remains relatively high, please stay tuned to your local weather forecast and stay safe.
Last modified: August 30, 2021