Zydeco Capital of the World!

Louisiana receiving products of St. Landry Parish

May 12, 2021

118 S. Court Street

The artwork that can be seen on the façade of the St. Landry Parish Courthouse is the work of international artist Angela Gregory.  At the time the courthouse was being constructed, the architect contacted Gregory about adding sculpture work to the building design.  Gregory worked on the art pieces in her studio in New Orleans, Louisiana, then they were shipped to Opelousas and installed just in time for the opening of the courthouse in March 1940.  The work is themed “Louisiana receiving products of St. Landry Parish” (sugar cane, cotton, corn, dairy products and the state flower, Magnolia). The two smaller sculptures on each side of the entrance depict an Acadian woman with her spinning wheel and a hunter in the rice fields

Last modified: May 12, 2021

Comments are closed.