133 W. Landry Street
Law office built in 1858 for Charles Homere Mouton, a judge who also served as Lt. Governor of Louisiana in 1856. He was married to a St. Landry Parish beauty, Celimene Dupre, the daughter of Lastie Dupre and granddaughter of Governor Jacque Dupre. The Dupre family and the Opelousas community were happy to have the Mouton family as new residents in 1858. They were welcomed in a big way during that year when they moved into their new home on the corner of Liberty and East Grolee streets in the city. The building was also the Jim Bowie Museum & Tourist Center at one time.
Last modified: April 13, 2021