135 W. Landry Street
Originally named the Palace Sandwich Shop, this restaurant was established in 1893. The old two-story wood frame building was also a boarding house. In 1927 George and Mary Doucas purchased the business and changed the name to the Palace Cafe. Immigrants from Greece, “Mama and Papa Doucas” specialized in Creole and Cajun dishes as well as some Greek specialties. Over the years, the couple’s children took over the restaurant until 2013 when it was sold to the present owner. Some of their famous dishes over the years included crawfish bisque, Pete’s famous fried chicken salad, and Steve’s baklava, which was one of the old world Greek recipes.. In 1954, the original building was demolished and the present building constructed at the corner of Market and Landry streets.
Last modified: April 13, 2021