346 W. Bellevue Street
Dr. James Ray built this one and one-half story plantation style home for his bride, Margaret Mitchell Hill, daughter of Dr. George Hill, a surgeon and scientific sugar planter of that era. During the Civil War, in March of 1862, the Confederate Army used the home as the 9th Brigade Medical Headquarters, with Dr. Hill serving as chief surgeon. Built off the ground, brick covered with cypress, the home has both Creole and Anglo-American Greek Revival elements. Of note is an oriental lightning rod above the home and the old horse hitching post in front of the home. The massive oaks that form a canopy around the home are over 200 years old and are all members of the Louisiana Live Oak Society. The home is owned by Bellevue St. Baptist Church.
Last modified: April 13, 2021