Opelousas - Perfectly Seasoned

49. Labyche-Estorge Home, 1827

April 9, 1827

417 S. Market Street

Built by slave labor for Cahors, France native Pierre Labyche, this Antebellum home, exemplifies the transition from the area’s popular Creole architecture to Greek Revival. Constructed of cypress and handmade red brick, it features beautifully hand-painted ceilings. Pierre Labyche married the widow of Jean Estorge, Marie Theresa Castille of Grand Coteau. Jean and Theresa had five children including Dr. Joseph Leonard Estorge. During the Civil War, when fighting broke out around the Opelousas area, wounded soldiers were treated here on the front lawn by Dr. Estorge. Today, the home is still owned by descendants of Jean Estorge. It was entered on the National Register of Historic Places in October of 1982.

Last modified: April 13, 2021

Comments are closed.

Skip to content