105 N. Main Street
This corner played an important role in the commercial history of the town. Known as Bloch corner, the store of Joseph Bloch occupied this property from the late 1850s and for almost 50 years. Later it became the City Hotel and than the Elk’s lodge. The originally building burnt down in 1948 and was replaced with the one standing today. This new building was home to Abdalla’s Furniture Store, and later Schiff Furniture, as well as Hargroder Insurance Company. It was renovated in 2005 to house the Opelousas City Hall. Located on the north side of this building is Robert Baxter’s Zydeco Capital of the World mural, which remembers the pioneers and award winners of zydeco music. Opelousas is the birthplace of zydeco.
Last modified: June 8, 2021