116 N. Union Street
One of the earliest fire companies in Louisiana, Hope, Hook and Ladder was organized in 1871. In 1901, a wood structure, that featured a curved façade on the northwest side, was completed. The present structure was built at a cost of $9,500. It houses the Firemen’s Museum, containing many artifacts of firefighting in Opelousas over the past 100 years. It is the third oldest volunteer fire company in Louisiana. Also of interest is the mural, Early Fire Fighting: A Tribute to Lelle, by a group of local student artists under Cindy Pitre’s direction. This painting depicts the fire truck named for Marie Céleste “Lelle” Dupré Robertson.
Last modified: April 13, 2021