In 1847 on the southwest corner of Landry and Main streets Felix A. King (1819-1897) operated a wholesale and retail dry goods store. In the1880s, the King store was demolished and a new building constructed for the First National Bank. That bank eventually became the St. Landry State Bank. In the 1920s, the building was remodeled and housed Winsberg’s Department Store for many years. In 1977, the building was demolished, and a new building erected that today houses the St. Landry Bank and Trust Company, on the
old King’s Corner.
The King family lived in a beautiful house behind their business on the block that ran to Vine Street. The King family owned that home until 1897 when it was sold to the Dietlein family, and it sat on that property until 1974 when it was demolished.
Across Landry St. on the northwest corner of Main today sits a building that was St. Landry Bank at one time. Before that, an earlier building occupied that spot from the 1840s, until 1906. It was the jewelry store of Charles Ealer, and that corner was King’s Corner & Ealer’s Corner known as Ealer’s Corner.
Last modified: May 7, 2021