118 S. Court Street
Built at a cost of $280,000 as a WPA project, this Art Deco style courthouse is three-stories with a limestone façade. It features the original Art Deco lamps flanking the steps and a brushed aluminum spiral staircase inside. Also flanking the courthouse are two Victorian lamp poles that were placed on the square in the 1890s. Artwork on the building’s facade above the entrance was created by renowned artist Angela Gregory. Since 1806, five courthouses have stood on the courthouse square. Also on the square are monuments to the parish’s war dead including the Civil War monument (depicted by the Louisiana Brown Pelican, the state’s bird, feeding its young), and others dedicated to soldiers who have served our nation during WWI, WWII and other conflicts. This is the heart of Old Opelousas, the center of a National Historic District since 1989.
Last modified: April 13, 2021