Opelousas - Perfectly Seasoned

2. Lawyer’s Row, c.1860

April 9, 1860

136 – 100 W. Bellevue Street Located across from the courthouse, between Market and Court streets, this group of commercial office buildings range in age from 50 to 150 years. Over the years, this historic section has been occupied by attorneys and was given the name, “Lawyer’s Row.” The east corner of this block that intersects with Court Street was known for years as Budd’s Corner. This is because the Budd’s family building was located there during the 1800s and into the early 1900s. At one time the Budd Building housed a liquor store and saloon as well as the Elk Restaurant, owned by Charles A. “Didee” Lastrapes. When the Budd Building was demolished (ca: 1922), a service station occupied that corner for many years, until the present building was constructed.

Last modified: April 13, 2021

Comments are closed.

Skip to content