Corner of Court & Bellevue streets
The Union Bank & Trust Company opened in a small office on Bellevue St. on January 1, 1911. In April of that year, the bank moved into this newly constructed building. It later became Planter’s Bank and Trust Company, and eventually First National Bank of St. Landry Parish. When the bank opened in 1911, the style of the building was described as “modern Grecian, built of pressed brick and marble, with artistic ornamental work offsetting the whole.” A bas-relief of a pelican, can be seen today above the main door. Another special building detail is the original copper roof. For many years before there was a bank building, a hotel, sometimes called the Eddy Hotel, sat on this property known as Pitre Corner. Owned by Charles Pitre, the hotel was destroyed by fire in 1904.
Last modified: April 13, 2021