131 S. Court Street
This prominent three-story building, in Romanesque Revival style, has been an Opelousas landmark for well over a century. In 1933, the Federal Court Building and post office workroom were added and the entrance was moved from Landry Street to Court Street. The building sits on the site that once belonged to Manon Baldwin (1770s-1857), a free woman of color and prominent businesswoman. As well as serving as Baldwin’s residence, the property was also a boarding house and tavern. During that time, this corner of Court and Landry streets was called Manon’s Corner.
Last modified: April 13, 2021