161 E. Landry Street
This one-story brick building features decorative bands of cast fleur-de-lis. For years it was the home of the Dietlein Jewelry Store, owned by Frank Dietlein who opened his business in 1894. In 1906, Dietlein replaced his original wood frame building with this brick one. Later the building housed Savoy’s Barber Shop for many years. Today, the building is owned by St. Landry Bank. On the west side of the building is artist Tony Wimberly’s mural depicting life in St. Landry Parish in the early 1800s, and also illustrates a chapter in the life of Jim Bowie, a one-time Opelousas resident who is known as a famed hero of the Battle of the Alamo.
Last modified: April 13, 2021